Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Babycoat

I love Julia Durgee's cartoon style, which is why I am happy to host her on this blog.

And this last one is my favorite. Because it's so real about the self-conscious, the zelf-bewustzijn in Dutch, the self-awarness that is often sharpest in the memory of dreams. I love her take on wimsy and how she touches what is just under the surface.

And I love how her drawing is essential to her little stories, and not a mere excuse for dialogue.

I don't want to say too much about this cartoon, because I should let it speak for itself, but it expresses for me the complexity of love. There is desire in it, humility, courage, grandiosity, childlikeness, great gift and great need. This is a Romantic cartoon in the classic Don Quixotic sense of High Romance.

No comments: